The Trump-Fatty Kim summit in Singapore

Discussion of current events
cassowary

The Trump-Fatty Kim summit in Singapore

Post by cassowary » Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:16 pm

SteveFoerster

Re: The Trump-Fatty Kim summit in Singapore

Post by SteveFoerster » Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:43 pm

Ah, but just as importantly for world peace, Dennis Rodman is there as well, and thanks to a cannabis-oriented cryptocurrency called PotCoin:

http://www.tampabay.com/news/world/A-cr ... _168950800

In case you needed any more proof that we're living in a Neal Stephenson novel....
Writer, technologist, educator, gadfly.
President of New World University: http://newworld.ac

Jim the Moron

Post by Jim the Moron » Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:46 am

I spent a good part of the last several hours looking into US cable TV coverage of the meeting. Much of it was quite strange - a bevy of sullen, snarky folks whining about the whole affair. Meanwhile, the folks with the most at stake - those in South Korea and Japan - waxed ecstatic.

cassowary

Post by cassowary » Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:53 am

Jim the Moron wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:46 am
I spent a good part of the last several hours looking into US cable TV coverage of the meeting. Much of it was quite strange - a bevy of sullen, snarky folks whining about the whole affair. Meanwhile, the folks with the most at stake - those in South Korea and Japan - waxed ecstatic.
It onky goes to show how out of touch the US media is. They invested so much of their credibility trying to prove that Trump is an idiotic baboon. So they are hoping for the summit to fail.

Sertorio

Post by Sertorio » Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:25 am

I have some comments on the Kim-Trump meeting, but I will not contribute to a thread with a childish designation of Chairman Kim of North Korea.

Doc

Post by Doc » Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:59 am

Apparently the Never Trump Democrats have officially morphed into "NeverChangers"

“The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it.” … George Orwell

Jim the Moron

Post by Jim the Moron » Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:19 pm

Right now, media types who have never been supportive of the US military are now whining about the proposed cessation of the "war games" in South Korea. They ignore the reality that should North Korea invade South Korea, conventional warfare won't obtain; rather, key targets in nuclear-armed North Korea would be preemptively nuked. The "umbrella" provided by the US in defense of South Korea and Japan is not affected by this agreement.

It is true that "war games" are an anachronism, and costly. Witness also the "Cobra Gold" games in Thailand. They had their origins in the days when it was feared that Thailand was one of the "dominoes" that could fall to advancing communism in SE Asia. Now the games continue as an expensive boost to the junta there that uses the military against its own people.

Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect » Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:24 pm

I watched a lot of coverage of this, and was rather dismayed.

A year ago the entire pundit class was on NK side and predicted a nuclear war while praising the Olympics, now Kim is a savage dictator who can never be legitimized.[/quote]

Keep in mind all the critics of this are authors of horrfyingly failed policies of hussein obama and the Bush family.

A year ago Kim was launching rockets over Japan and testing weapons while threatening my country, today he is promising to give it all up.

So far the only thing critics seem to be able to come up with is the paper doesn't have teeth.

Ok, so the teeth part is months of negotiation. Do you risk that process becoming mired down or would you have a high profile event to give that process a good start.

I don't like photo ops with bad guys, ala obama Castro, and was not sure what to think of this summit.

However I have to give Trump an A. If this ends up with denuclearization it will be the greatest foreign policy feat since the Cold War and truly Nobel Prize worthy.

To the bold goes the victory.

Doc

Post by Doc » Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:51 pm

Mr. Perfect wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:24 pm
I watched a lot of coverage of this, and was rather dismayed.

A year ago the entire pundit class was on NK side and predicted a nuclear war while praising the Olympics, now Kim is a savage dictator who can never be legitimized.

Keep in mind all the critics of this are authors of horrfyingly failed policies of hussein obama and the Bush family.

A year ago Kim was launching rockets over Japan and testing weapons while threatening my country, today he is promising to give it all up.

So far the only thing critics seem to be able to come up with is the paper doesn't have teeth.

Ok, so the teeth part is months of negotiation. Do you risk that process becoming mired down or would you have a high profile event to give that process a good start.

I don't like photo ops with bad guys, ala obama Castro, and was not sure what to think of this summit.

However I have to give Trump an A. If this ends up with denuclearization it will be the greatest foreign policy feat since the Cold War and truly Nobel Prize worthy.

To the bold goes the victory.
“The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it.” … George Orwell

Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect » Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:17 pm

As the day wears on this summit looks better and better. Trump is probably one of our top 4 Presidents.