TV Death Watch

High Culture, Religion, Philosophy and Esoterica.
Milo

TV Death Watch

Post by Milo » Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:47 am

To chronicle the demise of TV.
ABC's Oscar telecast reached all-time lows in the ratings, falling sharply from last year.

The three-hour-plus kudocast averaged about 23.6 million viewers and a 5.3 rating among adults 18-49, well below the 29.56 million and 7.7 for 2019's awards ceremony — which aired two weeks later in the year. The Oscars were down 20 percent year-over-year in viewers and 31 percent in the key ad-sales demo of adults 18-49.
The Oscars join the Emmy Awards in suffering steep ratings declines. The September 2019 Emmy broadcast on Fox fell by 32 percent in viewers and 29 percent in adults 18-49 from the previous year. By comparison, the declines for January's Golden Globes (off by 4 percent in viewers and 10 percent in the 18-49 demo) and Grammy Awards (down 6 percent in viewers, 4 percent in the demo) were fairly slight.
The Oscars did maintain their status as the most-watched awards show — although the Grammys scored a slightly better 18-49 rating (5.4), the first time that has happened since 2012. Sunday's ceremony was the biggest entertainment special since last year's Oscars.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/news/tv-ra ... ar-BBZR3Zf

If networks can't maintain live awards shows, supposedly their biggest advantage, except for sports, how viable is their business?

Doc

Re: TV Death Watch

Post by Doc » Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:00 am

Milo wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:47 am
To chronicle the demise of TV.
ABC's Oscar telecast reached all-time lows in the ratings, falling sharply from last year.

The three-hour-plus kudocast averaged about 23.6 million viewers and a 5.3 rating among adults 18-49, well below the 29.56 million and 7.7 for 2019's awards ceremony — which aired two weeks later in the year. The Oscars were down 20 percent year-over-year in viewers and 31 percent in the key ad-sales demo of adults 18-49.
The Oscars join the Emmy Awards in suffering steep ratings declines. The September 2019 Emmy broadcast on Fox fell by 32 percent in viewers and 29 percent in adults 18-49 from the previous year. By comparison, the declines for January's Golden Globes (off by 4 percent in viewers and 10 percent in the 18-49 demo) and Grammy Awards (down 6 percent in viewers, 4 percent in the demo) were fairly slight.
The Oscars did maintain their status as the most-watched awards show — although the Grammys scored a slightly better 18-49 rating (5.4), the first time that has happened since 2012. Sunday's ceremony was the biggest entertainment special since last year's Oscars.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/news/tv-ra ... ar-BBZR3Zf

If networks can't maintain live awards shows, supposedly their biggest advantage, except for sports, how viable is their business?
Seems like the MSM networks have been disrupted. Not that it matters all that much to me. I never have paid attention to Hollywood and I much prefer participatory sports over cough potato sports.

The worse thing about the internet is that it is hard to automatically filter them out.
“"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros