The November 2018 Congressional election mega thread

Discussion of current events
cassowary

The November 2018 Congressional election mega thread

Post by cassowary » Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:52 pm

With the elections less than 100 days away, its time to start discussing it. Any bets? Who do you think will win the Senate and the House?

Sertorio

Re: The November 2018 Congressional election mega thread

Post by Sertorio » Tue Aug 07, 2018 3:06 am

cassowary wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:52 pm
With the elections less than 100 days away, its time to start discussing it. Any bets? Who do you think will win the Senate and the House?
I don't know who the winner is going to be, but the losers will be the rest of the world...

Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect » Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:38 pm

We barely pulled it out in OH. So 50-50 at best in the House. Looking at the Senate map unless trump molests someone we will keep the Senate and pick up a few seats.

Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect » Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:43 pm

This will be the 3rd time in my life that we have been on the cusp of truly conservative government.

A balanced budget through spending reductions, shuttered and privatized departments, 6-7 conservatives on the court striking down gun laws and Roe v Wade. Moving away from income taxes, privatizing schools.

We were on the cusp in 1994, winning record majorities from coast to coast, only to have Newt Gingrich fritter it away.

In 2004 we had all the ammo, only to have GWB empy his magazines into the desert.

Now, once more, after all of Trump's accomplishments we are one election away from Conservative government. If we win this one, we will have it all.

If we don't I will never see it in my lifetime.

cassowary

Post by cassowary » Wed Aug 08, 2018 4:02 am

Mr. Perfect wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:43 pm
This will be the 3rd time in my life that we have been on the cusp of truly conservative government.

A balanced budget through spending reductions, shuttered and privatized departments, 6-7 conservatives on the court striking down gun laws and Roe v Wade. Moving away from income taxes, privatizing schools.

We were on the cusp in 1994, winning record majorities from coast to coast, only to have Newt Gingrich fritter it away.

In 2004 we had all the ammo, only to have GWB empy his magazines into the desert.

Now, once more, after all of Trump's accomplishments we are one election away from Conservative government. If we win this one, we will have it all.

Let's pray for a conservative outcome. Hang on to the House and pick up a few seats in the Senate.

Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect » Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:34 pm

I will be praying.

Milo

Post by Milo » Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:42 pm

cassowary wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 4:02 am
Mr. Perfect wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:43 pm

Let's pray for a conservative outcome. Hang on to the House and pick up a few seats in the Senate.
How are billions in government subsidies to private industry and trade tariffs conservative?

Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect » Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:58 pm

Who knows. What we do know is that liberals appear to be criticizing such policies, so maybe no tarrifs and no subsidies now represent left wing ideology.

For me personally, I'm not concerned about instant purity, I just want the pendulum of policy to be swinging decidedly in my direction. So far Trump has delivered more conservative policy than anyone since Reagan, with tax cuts, regulation cuts, Supreme Court picks, border security, recognition of Jerusalem, reversals of executive orders, getting out of Paris climate, Iran deal, Cuban sanctions and on and on and on. He is already among the greats, in less than 2 years.

However the congressional GOP is the weakest cast we've ever had, and instead of stacking his desk with conservative legislation they mostly hide under their own desks.

However, if we do manage to keep the House (we will keep the Senate) then the momentum should continue, and there are fewer things to do. What comes next is government reduction.

Spending and hiring caps across whole government departments as they atrophy and die on the vine. Opt outs for the entitlement programs. Privatization writ large across the whole of government. A reduction in government by up to 75%.

A golden age.

It won't happen in one day, but as long as the pendulum is swinging in this direction then I'm ok.

But it all hinges on this election. This is the 3rd time in my life I have been here, on the cusp of having it all. I will pray as never before for the outcome.

neverfail

Post by neverfail » Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:23 pm

Milo wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:42 pm

How are billions in government subsidies to private industry and trade tariffs conservative?

:o Oh, don't you see, Milo?

It's because that benefits sections of corporate big business; whose continued financial backing the political "conservatives' want to ensure.

It is only when government spends public money on people that government policy becomes lefty, bolshie anathema. :shock:

As the neocon rightist/extremists who post on this website keep on reassuring us: government support for the needs of the community leads unerringly to servitude and tyranny whilst allowing corporate business to trample over everything guarantees freedom. :lol: :| :cry:

neverfail

Post by neverfail » Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:27 pm

Mr. Perfect wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:34 pm
I will be praying.
:lol: So will I. For the opposite outcome to you guys.