Two conflicting views on Syria's future.

Discussion of current events
cassowary

Re: Two conflicting views on Syria's future.

Post by cassowary » Fri Nov 01, 2019 7:53 pm

My prediction of Syria's future for the next year is more war, poverty and misery.
The Imp :D

neverfail

Re: the dismemberment of Syria?

Post by neverfail » Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:37 pm

dagbay wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 2:49 pm
neverfail wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 2:12 pm

I have tried to convince Sertorio that Syria has a bleak future but unfortunately Sertorio still insists on riding his favorite hobby horse.
Don't knock riding favorite horses it can be lots of fun.... ( :D )

On a serious note, those Suni Arabs brought in by Erdman are supplying more "rebels" and with Turkish supplied weapons are rekindling the "civil" war and Assad's forces are suffering horrendus defeats just when the areas that he had control over were showing signs of calm. As for Sertorio, even if Assad gains the upper hand with Turkey and it's Suni proxies it is unlikely that the country now split with Kurds ISIS Suni Arabs will ever return to its whole.

I would have thought that too little time has yet elapsed for Erdogan to have transferred those two million Syrians from refugee camps in Turkey down into the buffer zone. Hell, the Kurds have only just moved out and Turkish troops are still settling in! It is absurd to believe that a people like those repatriated refugees (repatriated in most cases not to their original homes but to occupy a stranger's homes and lands) would be able to operate a viable economy on such a small plot of land so yes, from among the able bodied Sunni men there should be no shortage of volunteers for the insurgents.

I do not get the impression that morale and fighting spirit are or ever where high among Assad's soldiers. By contrast Islamist jihadi's seek martyrdom. So I regard your point about the rekindling of the civil war from that Turkish held enclave as likely to prove prophetic.

We are seeing the dismemberment of Syria. As well as the Turkish buffer zone Trump, by sending US soldiers to guard the oilfields in Kurdish controlled region, has for all intents and purposes created an American protectorate in northeastern Syria.

I agree with Cassowary. More war, poverty and misery is yet to come.

Sertorio

Post by Sertorio » Sat Nov 02, 2019 3:43 am

neverfail wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:37 pm

I do not get the impression that morale and fighting spirit are or ever where high among Assad's soldiers. By contrast Islamist jihadi's seek martyrdom. So I regard your point about the rekindling of the civil war from that Turkish held enclave as likely to prove prophetic.
The Syrian army has fought very well, as we saw by their recovery of most of the territory west of the Euphrate river. Only Idlib remains outside Syrian control, because of Turkey's objections to the advances by the Syrian army. But that may be about to finish, and Idlib will again fall under the control of the Syrian governement
neverfail wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:37 pm
We are seeing the dismemberment of Syria. As well as the Turkish buffer zone Trump, by sending US soldiers to guard the oilfields in Kurdish controlled region, has for all intents and purposes created an American protectorate in northeastern Syria.
Be patient. Russia will convince Turkey to accept Syria's ability to control the Kurds living next to Turkey, and the US army will finally leave Syria. Then the Syrian government will reestablish full control over its territory. The problem will be rebuilding what was destroyed during the war, since the US will not accept any responsibility for any of that destruction.

neverfail

Post by neverfail » Sat Nov 02, 2019 4:18 am

Sertorio wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 3:43 am
Be patient. Russia will convince Turkey to accept Syria's ability to control the Kurds living next to Turkey, ...destruction.
The fact that the Turkish army moved into that 30 kilometer wide zone in northern Syria demonstrates the Turkish government's utter lack of any faith in the ability of the Syrian authorities to control those Kurds. I cannot see them ever willingly giving that up

Jim the Moron

Post by Jim the Moron » Sat Nov 02, 2019 5:47 am

We're talking about the Islamic Middle East here . . .

All of these geopolitical ruminations will come to naught. ISIS and any number of savage outfits will arise out of the sands like snakes to destroy whatever they perceive as not being compatible with what they believe is the true way to Allah. All non-Muslim folks should get the hell out of Islamic lands, pronto. More terrorist-driven carnage in the region is unavoidable.

dagbay

Post by dagbay » Mon Nov 04, 2019 4:59 am

Jim the Moron wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 5:47 am
We're talking about the Islamic Middle East here . . .

All of these geopolitical ruminations will come to naught. ISIS and any number of savage outfits will arise out of the sands like snakes to destroy whatever they perceive as not being compatible with what they believe is the true way to Allah. All non-Muslim folks should get the hell out of Islamic lands, pronto. More terrorist-driven carnage in the region is unavoidable.
Your admonition has been heard, other than Israel the ME has eliminated most concentrations of non-Muslims. The countries that historically had large Christian sects have been emptied of them (Christian's in Lebanon are a small minority of their historical number, same for the copts of Egypt and Yazids,zorastrans and baluchies of Iraq. ) even in Arab towns under Israeli control frequent violence caused Christian population to move out.
I'd rather be diving or flying alas for now I am on terra firma.

dagbay

Post by dagbay » Sun Nov 10, 2019 3:51 pm

Don't take my word for it, here's the same Turkish plan in the words of the US state department [url]https://www.zerohedge.com/geopolitical/ ... sing-syria[\url]
I'd rather be diving or flying alas for now I am on terra firma.

Jim the Moron

Post by Jim the Moron » Sun Nov 10, 2019 4:26 pm

dagbay wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 3:51 pm
Don't take my word for it, here's the same Turkish plan in the words of the US state department [url]https://www.zerohedge.com/geopolitical/ ... sing-syria[\url]
ref "Ankara's ethnic cleansing campaign which has brought Syrian Kurds and Christians in its cross hairs."