Zealandia

is a systematic enterprise that builds and organizes knowledge in the form of testable explanations and predictions about the universe. Add your contributions here!
Jim the Moron

Zealandia

Post by Jim the Moron » Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:47 am

"New Zealand's War on Rats"
https://www.theatlantic.com/science/arc ... roh/546011

Gene drives pondered
Eau de Ferret as a super-lure
The Kakapo saved

neverfail

Re: Zealandia

Post by neverfail » Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:38 pm

(POST DELETED)
Last edited by neverfail on Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

neverfail

Post by neverfail » Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:40 pm

I hope they win the war on rats and other invasive species that so threaten the native birdlife fauna of New Zealand: I mean without inadvertently doing massive harm to the wildlife of countries abroad. Genetic tinkering could be viewed as a form of playing God - with potentially dire consequences.

This is a challenge that New Zealand shares with Australia - both long separated from the rest of the World (and one another) allowing a stunningly unique ecology of wildlife to evolve in isolation in both cases. The difference seems to be that while some Australian species have become extinct and several others are at risk (they only just recently saved the Tasmanian devil from mass extinction, for instance) Australian wildlife has thus far proven to be somewhat more robust than New Zealand's - it is better able to fight back so we are not yet threatened with utter ecological collapse like they are in NZ.

Jim the Moron

Post by Jim the Moron » Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:16 am

Must be something in the water there . . .

"New Zealand goose: How one blind bisexual bird became an icon"
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-43054363

Talk about your off-the-wall avian hanky-panky . . .

neverfail

Post by neverfail » Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:23 pm

Jim the Moron wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:16 am
Must be something in the water there . . .

"New Zealand goose: How one blind bisexual bird became an icon"
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-43054363

Talk about your off-the-wall avian hanky-panky . . .
You might be right about "something in the water there" Jim.

Yet I want to thank you for that link for it has revealed something to me that I had been previously unaware of. :

(quote) "It all started around 1990 when a black swan named Henrietta flew in to the Waimanu lagoon, located in a small town on New Zealand's Kapiti Coast."

I had previously been unaware that New Zealand even had black swans - as I had previously regarded these as exclusively a native Australian species. So I Google researched further:

(quote) "Before the arrival of the Māori in New Zealand, a subspecies of the black swan known as the New Zealand swan had developed in the islands, but was apparently hunted to extinction. In 1864, the Australian black swan was introduced to New Zealand as an ornamental waterfowl and populations are now common on larger coastal or inland lakes, especially Rotorua Lakes, Lake Wairarapa, Lake Ellesmere, and the Chatham Islands.[6] Black swans have also naturally flown to New Zealand, leading scientists to consider them a native rather than exotic species, although the present population appears to be largely descended from deliberate introductions."

An Aussie native that has successfully adapted itself to living with the NZ natural environment. Not the first either. Our ring tailed possum species bred itself up into plague numbers in New Zealand native forests and have apparently devastated these.

In Australia the ring tailed possum is a protected species but in New Zealand it is open season on them the year round for shooters.