June 13th Oil tanker attacks in the Gulf

Discussion of current events
lzzrdgrrl

Re: June 13th Oil tanker attacks in the Gulf

Post by lzzrdgrrl » Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:31 pm

neverfail wrote:The claim that Iran killed 600+ U.S. troops during OIF appears to be a lie. The sort of distortion of the truth that low, dirty, underhanded, turd politicians routinely use to try to bring opponents into disrepute.
the point is that factoid is noted in passing, and an imperial power worth its salt is unlikely to go full on murder turkey and blow up the large scale plan.......
I have a certain notoriety among the lesser gods........

Milo

Post by Milo » Tue Jun 18, 2019 6:20 pm

Doc wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:01 am
Milo wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:17 pm
Doc wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:09 pm
It is pretty much a given that the Iranians are the guilty party here. Word is that Trump is more interested in giving Iran a bloody nose rather than all out war.
The real concern is not the conflict or the casualties, it's that the strait is only 70 miles wide in places. If you blew up the right things the right way oil prices could spike. Nuclear contamination could make that spike last a long time.
Who would contaminate the straits with nuclear material? A) Outside the US and Russia No one. They could be shut down long term by conventional means but there would be little interest in that either.
Plenty of fanatics in the region. Plenty of money lying around idle...

Doc

Post by Doc » Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:29 pm

Milo wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 6:20 pm
Doc wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:01 am
Milo wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:17 pm
Doc wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:09 pm
It is pretty much a given that the Iranians are the guilty party here. Word is that Trump is more interested in giving Iran a bloody nose rather than all out war.
The real concern is not the conflict or the casualties, it's that the strait is only 70 miles wide in places. If you blew up the right things the right way oil prices could spike. Nuclear contamination could make that spike last a long time.
Who would contaminate the straits with nuclear material? A) Outside the US and Russia No one. They could be shut down long term by conventional means but there would be little interest in that either.
Plenty of fanatics in the region. Plenty of money lying around idle...
Of course there are but none outside of state actors have the ability to shut it down. And as I said only the US and particularly the Russia would benefit from it being closed.
“"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros

cassowary

Re: In the old time, liars were more skillful

Post by cassowary » Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:10 pm

Alexis wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:46 am
According to some rumors, the US may be thinking about going kinetic over the tankers' attack.
According to the officials, since Friday, the White House has been holding incessant discussions involving senior military commanders, Pentagon representatives and advisers to President Donald Trump.

The military action under consideration would be an aerial bombardment of an Iranian facility linked to its nuclear program, the officials further claimed.

"The bombing will be massive but will be limited to a specific target," said a Western diplomat.
If this comes to pass (that's an "If", these may be mistaken rumors)... well we'll see what the consequences are.

What is surprising here is the lack of skill on the part of US leadership.

According to the US government, Iran used limpet mines against the Japanese tanker.
:arrow: On the other hand, according to the company operating that tanker and based on testimony of its sailors, it was struck by flying objects.

According to the US government, Iran targeted a MQ-9 Predator with modified SA-7 Strela man portable missile.
:arrow: On the other hand, according to technical data from MQ-9 Predator and SA-7 Strela, the latter is efficient only to 1.5 km altitude, while the former cruises at 7.5 km altitude

There used to be a time when US governments lied more competently.
What is the purpose of the lie? Is there an advantage for the US if the Jap ship was attacked with a limpet mine instead of a flying object?
The Imp :D