"It's Moscow's chessboard now." !!!

neverfail

"It's Moscow's chessboard now." !!!

Post by neverfail » Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:13 am

Washington's abandonment of the Kurds left them with no other choice but to turn to the Assad government and its Russian backers.

Turkey a NATO member "in name only".

Iraq a client of Iran.

Great stuff eh!

http://www.atimes.com/article/afrin-mar ... nce-syria/

Jim the Moron

Re: "It's Moscow's chessboard now." !!!

Post by Jim the Moron » Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:56 am

"Kurds have been abandoned by the United States." (Who saw that coming?)

US - "no unified strategy . . ."

A US official is quoted - "Nobody wants to be the guy who lost Turkey." (Words fail me.)

Spengler is right on.

neverfail

Post by neverfail » Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:00 pm

Well said Jim.

It will still take time and a lot of bloodshed before this civil war in Syria has run its course; But with the Kurds on his side along with Hezbollah and the Russians, I cannot see how Assad can lose (barring direct military intervention by Israel - which would likely drag the USA in as well).

Since Assad would no more relish an independent Kurdistan, any more that Iraq and Turkey would, I could just mentally picture Assad, having seen off every other rebel movement within his borders with Kurdish help, then ganging up with Turkey to crush the Syrian Kurds. Can't you?

neverfail

Post by neverfail » Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:20 pm

(quote) As Alfred Hackenberger wrote in the German daily Die Welt, on February 19: “Russia would belong to the winners in the case of a Syrian-Kurdish military alliance. It would expand Russia’s military control of the country markedly. And Turkey would have to stop its invasion of Afrin, because a confrontation with Syrian soldiers would bring it directly into conflict with Russia.” (unquote)

Can Turkey afford a war with Russia over Syria? If it were to happen would the USA be inclined to intervene in support of this errant NATO member?

lzzrdgrrl

Post by lzzrdgrrl » Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:04 pm

USA can still take command of the situation, but the self-deception and denial of reality that governed American foreign policy, especially in the Middle East, has to be set aside.....:
To reiterate my own longstanding view: Russia is a nasty place and Vladimir Putin is a nasty man, of the ilk that always has ruled Russia, a country where nobody talks about Ivan the Reasonable. On my Ogre-ometer, Putin barely registers a 1.9 against Stalin's 9.8. Russia is NOT our friend and NOT a prospective ally. But we have two choices. One is to attempt to bring Putin down and bring in a government we like, and the other is to strike a deal with Putin that we can live with. The first is delusional, but pervasive in a foreign policy establishment that still believes that we can reshape the world in America's image. If you don't believe that the foreign policy establishment is that crazy, please read my review of Condoleezza Rice's new book, Democracy, in the current issue of the Claremont Review of Books. Rice foisted Rex Tillerson on an unsuspecting Trump as a "Texas oilman" rather than as a cut-out for the George W. Bush wing of the Republican Party.
https://pjmedia.com/spengler/president- ... icy-swamp/
I have a certain notoriety among the lesser gods........

Doc

Post by Doc » Sun May 13, 2018 1:17 pm

lzzrdgrrl wrote:
Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:04 pm
USA can still take command of the situation, but the self-deception and denial of reality that governed American foreign policy, especially in the Middle East, has to be set aside.....:
To reiterate my own longstanding view: Russia is a nasty place and Vladimir Putin is a nasty man, of the ilk that always has ruled Russia, a country where nobody talks about Ivan the Reasonable. On my Ogre-ometer, Putin barely registers a 1.9 against Stalin's 9.8. Russia is NOT our friend and NOT a prospective ally. But we have two choices. One is to attempt to bring Putin down and bring in a government we like, and the other is to strike a deal with Putin that we can live with. The first is delusional, but pervasive in a foreign policy establishment that still believes that we can reshape the world in America's image. If you don't believe that the foreign policy establishment is that crazy, please read my review of Condoleezza Rice's new book, Democracy, in the current issue of the Claremont Review of Books. Rice foisted Rex Tillerson on an unsuspecting Trump as a "Texas oilman" rather than as a cut-out for the George W. Bush wing of the Republican Party.
https://pjmedia.com/spengler/president- ... icy-swamp/
Bush, Clinton, Bush, and Obama are gone and Trump is the only President left.
“"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros