Belmont Club

Forum for pundits of interest to Davosman members. Please make one thread per pundit.
SteveFoerster

Re: Belmont Club

Post by SteveFoerster » Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:20 am

As an aside, U.S. legislators couldn't care less what UN functionaries think they're obligated to do, and wisely so. Even Democrats know better than to tell Americans, "Look, the UN said we have to do this."
Writer, technologist, educator, gadfly.
President of New World University: http://newworld.ac

lzzrdgrrl

Enter the Dragon

Post by lzzrdgrrl » Wed May 30, 2018 10:15 pm

It's not so much an intelligence breach as a slow and methodical annihilation:

Lost against the background of the Snowden defection, Putin's invasion of the Ukraine and Syria and the beating to death of a Russian media czar in Washington DC is the memory one of the major fiascos of the Obama administration: the rollup of the CIA's agent network in China. The New York Times reported in May 2017 that "the Chinese government systematically dismantled C.I.A. spying operations in the country starting in 2010, killing or imprisoning more than a dozen sources over two years and crippling intelligence gathering there for years afterward."

https://pjmedia.com/richardfernandez/enter-the-dragon/
I have a certain notoriety among the lesser gods........

lzzrdgrrl

Night of the Demon.......

Post by lzzrdgrrl » Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:40 pm

If anyone thought the 2016 revolt against the institutions was transient recent events may force a reconsideration. Instead of dying down open political war now permanently grips Washington. Abroad, time has healed no wounds; immigration issues have not dissipated in Europe, on the contrary riots are rocking Germany The British are still rushing bald-headed toward Brexit with all the incalculable consequences that entails. What can't be happening is.
https://pjmedia.com/richardfernandez/ni ... the-demon/

It's interesting that Richard links to this 'tube........

Richard's response to Bishop Barron wouldn't be out of place coming from Jordan B. Peterson's mouth:
Lest one think Barron a metaphysical nut, his notion of the devil closely resembles the social media concept of the 'meme', a word coined by Richard Dawkins' in the 1976 book The Selfish Gene. It is "a unit of cultural transmission, or a unit of imitation and replication ... [like] melodies, fashions and learned skills [that] generally replicate through exposure to humans, who have evolved as efficient copiers of information and behavior."
Please read this essay. Like the events it describes this is a game changer.....

Milo

Re: Night of the Demon.......

Post by Milo » Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:26 am

lzzrdgrrl wrote:
Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:40 pm
If anyone thought the 2016 revolt against the institutions was transient recent events may force a reconsideration. Instead of dying down open political war now permanently grips Washington. Abroad, time has healed no wounds; immigration issues have not dissipated in Europe, on the contrary riots are rocking Germany The British are still rushing bald-headed toward Brexit with all the incalculable consequences that entails. What can't be happening is.
https://pjmedia.com/richardfernandez/ni ... the-demon/

It's interesting that Richard links to this 'tube........

Richard's response to Bishop Barron wouldn't be out of place coming from Jordan B. Peterson's mouth:
Lest one think Barron a metaphysical nut, his notion of the devil closely resembles the social media concept of the 'meme', a word coined by Richard Dawkins' in the 1976 book The Selfish Gene. It is "a unit of cultural transmission, or a unit of imitation and replication ... [like] melodies, fashions and learned skills [that] generally replicate through exposure to humans, who have evolved as efficient copiers of information and behavior."
Please read this essay. Like the events it describes this is a game changer.....
I still firmly believe that the democracies are far stronger than most reports indicate but the perception of weakness is is certainly a major problem lately.

We could certainly use a big win.

lzzrdgrrl

Post by lzzrdgrrl » Thu Aug 30, 2018 2:54 pm

What perplexes me is that the human condition is better than it's ever been. Yet people are coked up, nay, infuriated by the very fabric of life itself. Didn't see that coming..... or didn't take it seriously.....-_-.......

SteveFoerster

Post by SteveFoerster » Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:33 am

lzzrdgrrl wrote:
Thu Aug 30, 2018 2:54 pm
What perplexes me is that the human condition is better than it's ever been. Yet people are coked up, nay, infuriated by the very fabric of life itself. Didn't see that coming..... or didn't take it seriously.....-_-.......
Great link! The work of Marian Tupy, Chelsea Follett, etc. at HumanProgress.org is spectacular!
Writer, technologist, educator, gadfly.
President of New World University: http://newworld.ac

Doc

Post by Doc » Sun Sep 02, 2018 12:15 pm

lzzrdgrrl wrote:
Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:45 pm
This thing in Charlottesville reveals the degeneration, the dehiscence of civil society, the collagen tissue of social order loses integrity and ruptures under the stress. The entry wound, the removal of a statue is but precursor to the exit wound of this thing:

https://pjmedia.com/richardfernandez/20 ... e-hyphens/
wretchard wrote:Technology allowed us to create separate communities. But it didn't stop there. For a minority on either side the real fun consisted not in fulfilling their own identities but in running the Lives of Others; not in living the life they wanted, but in telling others what to do, what to think, what to feel, what to eat.

Power rivals love as a human impulse. It is perhaps no coincidence that social media was employed from the outset not only to make friends but spy on those that we loathed.

The dark side of hyphens lies not in self-definition, but in defining what we are not. Power has been a powerful force since the world began. History will show that no nation, clime, creed or ideology has been immune to it. If man is an angel capable of wondrous works of technology, he is also a killer angel.
It's insights such as these that makes me suspect Richard Fernandez has a deeper understanding of the human condition than even our spengler.......
I largely agree except to say it long predated social media and even electric power.
“"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros

lzzrdgrrl

Post by lzzrdgrrl » Sun Sep 02, 2018 6:03 pm

My dad sent me this link, which furthers the conversation:
The emergence of liberal democracies is associated with ideals of liberty and equality that may seem self-evident and irreversible. But these ideals are far more fragile than we believe. Their success in the 20th century depended on unique technological conditions that may prove ephemeral.
https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/ar ... ny/568330/