The end of the Trump-Russian collusion affair?

Discussion of current events
Doc

Re: The end of the Trump-Russian collusion affair?

Post by Doc » Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:27 pm

cassowary wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:07 am
Doc wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:49 pm

Crimes were committed by Facebook. It is illegal to accept political advertising from foreign governments. But I will say it is hard for said trump-russia collusion to end given that it was never there in the first place.
Is that right? I never knew.
Yes that is why Zuckerburg is so nervous about it.
The classes and the races to weak to master the new conditions of life must give way {..} They must perish in the revolutionary holocaust --Karl Marx

neverfail

Post by neverfail » Sat Oct 07, 2017 5:08 pm

cassowary wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2017 3:52 am
Secondly, America is a champion of democracy. He Putin is criticized as being undemocratic and a dictator. So he wished to show that American democracy is dysfunctional.
America PURPORTS to be a champion of democracy (not the same as actually being one) but spoils it's own bid for moral ascendancy by itself setting such a bad example to the World of how a democracy works.

Putin needs to make no special effort. Better for this man to sit back, do nothing, and allow America to place its own dysfunction on display for the World to see. :)

armchair_pundit

Post by armchair_pundit » Sat Oct 07, 2017 6:15 pm

neverfail wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2017 5:08 pm
cassowary wrote:
Secondly, America is a champion of democracy. He Putin is criticized as being undemocratic and a dictator. So he wished to show that American democracy is dysfunctional.
America PURPORTS to be a champion of democracy (not the same as actually being one) but spoils it's own bid for moral ascendancy by itself setting such a bad example to the World of how a democracy works.

Putin needs to make no special effort. Better for this man to sit back, do nothing, and allow America to place its own dysfunction on display for the World to see. :)
Unfortunately this is very close to the mark.

As is this classic...
updated just a bit
You are an old man who thinks in terms of nations and peoples. There are no nations. There are no peoples. There are no Russians. There are no Arabs. There are no Third Worlds. There is no West. There is only one holistic system of systems. One vast and immanent, interwoven, interacting, multi-varied, multi-national dominion of dollars. Petro-dollars, electro-dollars, tech-dollars, multi-dollars, yuan, euros, rands, rubles, pounds and shekels. It is the international system of currency which determines the totality of life on this planet. That is the natural order of things today. That is the atomic, and sub-atomic and galactic structure of things today. And YOU have meddled with the primal forces of nature. And you will atone.

Am I getting through to you, Mr TRUMP?

SteveFoerster

Post by SteveFoerster » Sat Oct 07, 2017 6:25 pm

Doc wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:27 pm
cassowary wrote:
Doc wrote:

Crimes were committed by Facebook. It is illegal to accept political advertising from foreign governments. But I will say it is hard for said trump-russia collusion to end given that it was never there in the first place.
Please. Worse case scenario, Facebook would end up paying a fine smaller than the amount of money they made selling the ads.
Writer, technologist, educator, gadfly.
President of New World University: http://newworld.ac

cassowary

Post by cassowary » Sat Oct 07, 2017 7:35 pm

neverfail wrote:
cassowary wrote:
That is true and is one reason why I wrote my book. But America's dysfunctional democracy also applies to most other democracies.
Putin wants to magnify and worsens it. The KGB and CIA were waging propaganda war during the Cold War. Both sides wanted to discredit the other. Now, Putin, ex KGB, is simply carrying on what has been done for decades. Russia has been interfering in other people's elections for decades. So has the US. Putin has long accused British and US intelligence of having a hand in Ukraine's "Orange Revolution." So it's payback time.

Here are links backing up what I said:

s the US meddling in Ukraine's election?

How Krushev tipped the elections towards Kennedy

Doc

Post by Doc » Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:24 pm

SteveFoerster wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2017 6:25 pm
Doc wrote:
cassowary wrote:
Doc wrote:

Please. Worse case scenario, Facebook would end up paying a fine smaller than the amount of money they made selling the ads.
https://www.fec.gov/updates/foreign-nationals/
Persons who knowingly and willfully engage in these activities may be subject to an FEC enforcement action, criminal prosecution, or both.
The classes and the races to weak to master the new conditions of life must give way {..} They must perish in the revolutionary holocaust --Karl Marx

SteveFoerster

Post by SteveFoerster » Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:41 pm

Doc wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:24 pm
SteveFoerster wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2017 6:25 pm
Doc wrote:
cassowary wrote:
Doc wrote:

https://www.fec.gov/updates/foreign-nationals/
Persons who knowingly and willfully engage in these activities may be subject to an FEC enforcement action, criminal prosecution, or both.
So? No one can prove that anyone at Facebook "knowingly and willfully" did any such thing.
Writer, technologist, educator, gadfly.
President of New World University: http://newworld.ac

neverfail

Post by neverfail » Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:45 am

neverfail wrote:
cassowary wrote:
cassowary wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2017 7:35 pm
That is true and is one reason why I wrote my book. But America's dysfunctional democracy also applies to most other democracies.
You might have failed to draw a distinction between dysfunctional and imperfect cass. The democracy I live in is not perfect but it still functions quite well.
Putin wants to magnify and worsens it. The KGB and CIA were waging propaganda war during the Cold War. Both sides wanted to discredit the other. Now, Putin, ex KGB, is simply carrying on what has been done for decades. Russia has been interfering in other people's elections for decades. So has the US. Putin has long accused British and US intelligence of having a hand in Ukraine's "Orange Revolution." So it's payback time.

Here are links backing up what I said:

s the US meddling in Ukraine's election?

How Krushev tipped the elections towards Kennedy
[/quote]

Point well made! It demonstrates how neither of them have learned anything useful from out of the Cold War.

cassowary

Post by cassowary » Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:37 am

neverfail wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:45 am

You might have failed to draw a distinction between dysfunctional and imperfect cass. The democracy I live in is not perfect but it still functions quite well.
So far, that is true.

neverfail

Post by neverfail » Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:56 pm

cassowary wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:37 am
neverfail wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:45 am

So far, that is true.
So far? Well, if we are destined to see our democracy enter an allegedly overripe, decadent phase of declining fortunes; then from my point of view it seems to be taking an awful long time to happen.

Meantime: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wor ... 738f3ce3a8

If Nikita Khruschev (not Kruschev) withheld the release of those American spies to influence the 1960 US presidential election against Nixon and in favour of Kennedy; recalling what a crook and a rogue tricky Dicky Nixon turned out to be once he became President, Khruschev probably did the USA a favour.